Sunday, August 16, 2009

Green Monster Smoothie

I've seen these around, and honestly thought they looked gross and dismissed them as some health freak, bitter green goop (sorry ya'll).

But after reading round the blogs and seeing the nutritional punch this smoothie has over at girl get strong, particularly the amount of iron in it - this iron deficient girl had to give it a go. And what do you know, I actually have all the ingredients on hand.

Now you do have to be a bit careful, 'cause though some of the variations out there sound yummy, make sure you calculate the nutritional info on these, some of them are HEFTY on the calories and fat - but then if you're a smoothie for a meal kind of person, this is likely right up your alley.

The one I found particularly reasonable in the ingredients and nutrition was from she-fit and goes like this:




1 frozen banana

1c 1% milk

2c spinach

1/2 c frozen blueberries

6 ice cubes

1 pkt stevia (or to taste)



This one has that green color, and is 224.8 cal, 42 carb, 3.2 fat, 4.2 fiber and 12% of your recommended iron intake, and only 4 WW points. But it made a nice batch so I had 1/2 after dinner and 1/2 for breakfast this morning. booyah!



I have to admit - it was pretty good. Now if I could get my kids to drink this stuff. They are on a green food boycott - yeah even the 18 month old - whatever. So I'll have to get a different variation for the kiddos - but if I can get them to take in some spinach or kale - yeah, I have to give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment