Tuesday, July 14, 2009

oh good ...it was just some bad beef

My Dr prescribed metformin which is a medicine which is used to help bring down insulin levels and help keep blood sugar normal. It makes your body more sensitive to insulin, so it doesn’t have to make as much. That's a good thing for me - while I work on taking care of my weight issue which is a big negative factor.

I first took it with dinner the other evening, and not more than 4-5 hours later I began to feel nauseous, have stomach pains, gurgling, abdomen pain and yes, the big D.


So of course I check the possible side effects for this stuff and there it all is, all possible side effects. Really??? I distinctly remembering him saying that this was a very low dose and it was very unlikely that I would be affected that way.


What am I a sponge?

It was an awful night,and I was useless the next day - exhausted, still feeling bad, and very much wanting to stay within 5 feet of a bathroom.

So to my relief, and this is almost mean, my hubby came home with all the same symptoms. It seems he had some leftover burgers for lunch. They were from the same batch I had for dinner that night!! What a relief.

After some extensive reading -I've found that most of the symptoms I've been experiencing and that have basically kicked my butt the last 6-8 months, are completely due to this insulin resistance. We've spent the last 5 months dealing with the symptoms and not the source.

So I SOOO want to deal with the source, and while I def don't want the medication to be my long term solution, if it can give me a head start and keep some of the symptoms from ...kicking my BUTT, then I figure I'll have a chance to get myself up, dust myself off and get a hold of these things.

And in other news.. I did my walking today, took my supplements ...and did my food journal. And while it wasn't GREAT, it was a lot better than what I know has been going on - despite my previous denial.

As time progresses I plan on sharing new recipes, menus, exercise, and weight DECREASES - now that's a statement of faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment